Friday, September 3, 2010

Milestone Day


















September 2nd 2010 was another milestone day for Mary Jo in her treatment of stage three B breast cancer.  Yesterday was last day of her scheduled cancer treatments, although Mary Jo will continue to take Arimidex (estrogen receptor therapy) for four more years as her cancer was estrogen positive.  Mary Jo has gone from initial diagnosis back in July of 2009,  followed by more than a year of intense and aggressive treatments which included a surgical double mastectomy, six sessions over 18 weeks of Taxotere and Carboplatian chemotherapy along with weekly sessions of Herceptin, 35 daily sessions of radiation, a prophylactic complete DaVinci hysterectomy and daily estrogen therapy (Tomoxifin and now Arimidex).  Yesterday, Mary Jo received her very last (30th session) dose of the biologic chemo therapy drug Herceptin, marking the end of a 52 week regiment of this powerful cancer fighting drug. 

Michelle, MJ, Diane at the last chemo session
Mary Jo's mom, Diane and her youngest sister, Michelle came to this last chemo appointment to celebrate the big day with us with cake and flowers.  Dr Gall and all his wonderful oncology nurses congratulated Mary Jo at the end of the session. 
MJ and some of her favorite nurses at MOPA

1 comment:

Jill said...

I just found this blog...read all of your stuff on the main page. I am speechless. I love the way Kevin loves you. It's the most amazing thing I have ever seen. I cannot believe you two can humbly sit in my presence and speak of my abilities to spread the word of all things breast cancer when you two are the embodiment of what a person facing these challenges would want to surround themselves with. I am so honored to know you. I feel that we were meant to cross paths. Little did I know how much I would learn of the greatness that is the power of you two. You two are what the human race should aspire to be. Amazing grace in human form!