Tuesday, March 2, 2010

We Signed Up For The Walk



Mary Jo has been fighting a sore throat for the past few days. We knew that she was susceptible to bacterial infections because of her low neutrophil Count and white blood cell count. She had been trying to be very cautious to avoid crowds and people with obvious symptoms but somehow she picked up a bug and her body is trying to fight with a pretty compromised immune system. She continues with her daily radiation treatments at the Ridges Radiation Treatment Center. Today at 11:40 Mary Jo will have treatment number 12 of 33. The radiation side effects are still minimal and Mary Jo rarely complains of any discomfort. She is such a strong girl. I admire her in so many new ways.


Last night Mary Jo and I, Jamie Page and Mary Jo’s mom Diane attended an informational meeting for the Susan G. Komen 3 Day Walk For The Cure. Jamie registered up to be a walker, Mary Jo and I and Diane all registered as volunteers to be “Crew”. Everyone’s goal that is connected to this origination has the main goal of fundraising dollars for a cure to end breast cancer. Jamie, as a “walker” is required to raise a minimum of $2300 in her fundraising efforts to be able to walk in the 3 day/60 mile event and Mary Jo and I have an ambitious fundraising goal of $5,000. I know these are economically challenging times for everybody these days but I am still going to try to hit my goal. I know that the money raised from past events has contributed to incredible advancements in breast cancer treatment that would not have been possible without the massive cash infusion from fundraisers such as Susan G. Komen events.

I encourage you to give. I am hopeful that everyone will contribute $100 each. Donating is simple online. Click, click and you’re done. Better yet would be if you, like Jamie, decided to register as a walker and raise the minimum of $2300 yourself. However we get the money, it makes no difference. It all goes to find a cure.

3 Day Walk Video

1 comment:

Unknown said...

WoooooHooooo!!!!!!!! Can't wait for the walk. Feel better MJ. Had a great time last night. Love you guys............ Jammie. BTW - after last night, I changed my goal to $5,000!!!!